Assistant Professor of Social Work/Field Education Director at Mary Baldwin University
Position Announcement: Mary Baldwin University’s Department of Social Work invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Social Work and Field Director. Our ideal candidate is interested coordinating the field program and teaching courses including social work practice, policy, and human behavior in the context of generalist social work practice.
Duties and Responsibilities: Primary responsibilities include coordination of the field program to include student placement, agency collaboration, and supervision of undergraduate students completing their field placements, undergraduate teaching of social work courses, service to the university and local community, and maintaining an active scholarly and professional agenda.
Qualifications: MSW required, PhD or DSW preferred. Undergraduate teaching and social work practice experience required.
Emphasis on Diversity: Mary Baldwin University is an intentionally diverse educational community, with a vibrant population of over 1900 undergraduate and graduate students in its residential and online programs. More than fifty percent of MBU’s residential undergraduates are students of color and the University aspires to develop a faculty, staff, and curriculum that reflect its demographic. The University places a high priority on the cultivation of a community in which all students are both seen and heard. We seek and encourage applications from members of groups underrepresented in higher education and with academic experience with diverse student bodies. Above all, Mary Baldwin seeks candidates eager to embrace and empower an ethic of equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the field instruction component of the Bachelor of Social Work program to include recruitment of agency placements, training of field instructors, preparation of students, oversight of student work in placements, and teaching field seminar class. Collaborate with social work adjuncts teaching field seminar in the MBU Online program across the state.
- Teach curriculum in the areas of research, policy, practice, and human behavior in the context of generalist social work practice.
- Participate in accreditation tasks in collaboration with other social work faculty.
- Perform additional department tasks to enhance the quality of the social work program.
- Develop and deliver face-to-face, hybrid, and on-line instruction, and/or as assigned.
- Collaborate with colleagues in curriculum design, instruction, and evaluation.
- Develop and support creative strategies for student recruitment, retention, and completion
- Demonstrate a commitment to the NASW Code of Ethics.
- Attend, develop, and support community service projects for social work students.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- A Master’s degree in Social Work from a Council on Social Work Education accredited institution
- Documented direct clinical practice experience within the past five years to include experience with individuals, couples or families, groups, or communities
- Documented experience in effective teaching
- Experience with or commitment to rural and small community social work practice
- Demonstrate experience with the social work accreditation or reaffirmation process
- Ability to use educational technologies, including technologies for skills lab, classroom instruction, and online instruction
- Experience in curriculum design and development, including utilization of experiential teaching methods
- Outstanding communication, written and teaching skills
- Ability to engage with diverse groups and commitment to diversity across age, gender, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, language, cultural, national origin
Applications: Candidates should send a C.V., letter of application, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications begins Fall 2023 with a start date of Fall 2024.
Mary Baldwin University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer and especially encourages applications from minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.