Program Director, Marketing & Assistant/Associate Professor of Marketing
Position Announcement: Mary Baldwin University invites applications for Program Director of Marketing who will also serve as a faculty member at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor.
MBU is committed, through its mission, to “empowering tomorrow’s inclusive leaders to lead lives of purpose and professional success.” With our university’s trajectory of success over the past 181 years, we have solidified our place as a small, innovative coed university that provides opportunity and career preparation for a diverse population of students while meeting the needs of today’s workforce and enhancing the local community through creative partnerships. We are especially committed to fostering a climate of innovation, talent, and economic growth in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Program Directors serve as the lead faculty for their respective programs and the primary liaison between the University and their degree-granting program and are responsible for ensuring a high-quality education and an inclusive climate for all students. They are the brand managers for their respective programs and serve as that program’s primary advocate.
Reporting to the Associate Dean of Palmer College’s School of Business this individual will serve as the architect of a new Bachelor’s degree program in Marketing. Working closely with the Dean of the Palmer College of Professional Studies on program strategy, the Learning Design team on program development and launch, and a cross-functional team of academic advisors, career coaches, enrollment management and marketing specialists to bring their program to life. The Program Director will guide the curricular process so that the academic standards and learning objectives of their program emphasize deep comprehension, analysis, synthesis, and application of specialized knowledge, and therefore prepare students for professional success. Program Directors promote learning activities that provide students with opportunities to gain broad conceptual knowledge, professional skills, and experience relevant to their discipline, and to transmit and develop new applications of knowledge.
The Marketing program will be offered as a fully online program offering several career-focused specialization pathways including Integrated Marketing, Marketing Management, Consumer Insights, Digital Marketing, and Sales as well as other specialization pathways to be determined between the Program Director and the Dean.
Additionally, the Program Director will have direct oversight of the residential Marketing and Communications program based on the Staunton, VA campus.
This is a renewable 12 month contract, renewing each July.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Attracting Top Students and Ensuring a Quality Student Experience
- Be the brand manager for their respective programs and serve as that program’s primary advocate
- Approve admission to the program in conjunction with the Admissions team
- Advocate for programming and policies that support community building, inclusivity, student success, and career development
- Coordinate welcome to the program, orientation, and career-focused events
- Advocate for students in the program
- Refer students to campus resources relevant to their concerns
- Act as a mentor to students and a source of referral to the professional advisors
- Facilitate workforce preparedness through internships and overall career placement
- Work closely with staff in the McCree Center for Life Success
Promoting Educational Excellence:
- Oversee faculty within program, including recruiting activities of faculty & SMEs
- Teach within the program
- Maintain professional knowledge of the marketing field, staying abreast of industry updates, training standards, adult learning styles and preferences, as well as blended/social learning techniques while maintaining strategic alliances with industry and training organizations
- Partner with the Learning Design team to design program, and source/recommend faculty for course design and development
- Support faculty mentorship to students through sharing resources, training, and best practices in coordination with the Associate Dean and Dean of the College
Overseeing Program Administration, Growth, and Continuous Improvement:
- Prepare materials and communications for leadership
- Oversee the program budget, working closely with Associate Dean on requests/projected expenses
- Responsible for creating and maintaining course offerings list & course carousels
- Interface with: Alumni Relations, Admissions/Enrollment, Marketing, Student Success, McCree Center for Life Success, including community members and business partners from networking and recruiting
- Serve on committees, as required
- Recommend hiring of adjunct faculty
- Conduct annual reports, faculty performance reviews
- Prepare materials for the Educational Policy Committee, SACSCOC etc.
- Help create new majors, minors or certificates within their program or adjacent to program
- Collaborate with peers on the academic strategy and goals of adjacent programs
- Develop and refine an annual strategic plan, including KPIs and enrollment targets, with input from functional area directors, faculty, alumni, and industry partners
Advancing Partnerships and Alumni Engagement:
- Coordinate with the Office of Integrated Communications regarding marketing programs, plans, and outreach opportunities
- Facilitate and coordinate community collaborations
- Engage new and existing workforce and community partners
- Gather input from corporate partners regarding student success stories and program outcomes
- Stay connected to workforce and employer partners to understand and identify talent needs and workforce gaps
- Terminal degree from an accredited university within marketing (or related) discipline
- Professional certifications within related discipline are strongly preferred, along with participation in professional associations
- Minimum 5+ years of professional experience in higher education administration
- Demonstrated prior experience in online pedagogy and working with adult learners
- An understanding of university systems, ability to navigate matrixed organizations
- Demonstrated domain knowledge, industry expertise
- A creative and innovative thinker, strategist who thinks “outside of the box”
- High-level leadership experience, including planning, analysis and prioritization skills
- Knowledge of principles and methods for teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effectiveness
- Strong organizational skills, ability to effectively convey ideas in a concise and persuasive way
- Ability to navigate stakeholders and synthesize information
- Proven ability to work effectively in a remote environment with minimal supervision
- Teaching experience specifically with online platforms
- Experience working with curriculum design and development professionals with the goal of creating well aligned, student-focused, engaging courses
- A network of business and academic contacts. The success of the program will be defined to a large extent by its interaction and contacts with the growing marketing industry. We need an individual who can leverage their professional network and seek out new connections so that students are (i) successfully matched with internships and job opportunities, and (ii) have an excellent work-integrated learning experience
- Experience planning and developing academic programs and other initiatives which enhance the brand identity and market appeal of the School and the University as a student-centered, teaching-focused institution
Applications: All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and curriculum vitae, and submitted to Palmer-College-Hiring@marybaldwin.edu. Cover letters should be responsive to the mission of Mary Baldwin University as well as the responsibilities and qualifications presented in the job description.