Retaining Financial Aid: Satisfactory Academic Progress

Financial aid is limited to those who maintain satisfactory academic progress

The U.S. Department of Education and Mary Baldwin University each require that financial aid be limited to those students who maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Progress is judged both qualitatively (cumulative G.P.A.) and quantitatively (cumulative completion rate). Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA based on their class level, and must complete at least 67% of all the courses in which they enroll with a “D” or better. Students may not receive financial aid after attempting 150% of the hours required for their degree. Additional regulations apply for each program. Failure to maintain at least minimum satisfactory academic progress requirements can result in the loss of eligibility for financial aid.

Students are reviewed at the end of each semester in which they were enrolled. If a student does not achieve the minimum standard of academic progress during a semester, that student is sent a warning letter and may receive financial aid for one additional semester.  If at the end of that semester the student has not achieved minimum standards, the student will lose eligibility for financial aid until the student’s record is brought up to minimum levels of achievement. The student may appeal this status.

If your financial aid eligibility is suspended, you may appeal by completing the Appeal form for 2023-2024. For the 2024-2025 academic year, please use this form. In addition, you must meet with your advisor to develop an Academic Improvement Plan. You must submit both of these documents for your appeal to be considered.

For further information and a full list of regulations for all programs, please see our full SAP regulations.

Note: Satisfactory Academic Policy was updated to reflect a change due to COVID-19 in May 2020.

Questions? Contact the Financial Aid Office.