Part-Time Assistant/Associate Professor of Nursing Anesthesiology
About the role:
Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences at Mary Baldwin University invites applications for a part-time Assistant/Associate Professor of Nursing Anesthesiology beginning in January 2024.
This is a 12-month, part-time faculty position in the Nurse Anesthesiology Program in the School of Nursing. This position is responsible for teaching, scholarship, and service with a part-time workload to meet the didactic, research and/or clinical needs of the DNP Nurse anesthesiology program. Teaching responsibilities include content within the discipline or discipline areas in which the faculty has specific education, training, certification and/or contemporary expertise. For this faculty position, the Nurse Anesthesiology Program is looking for content expertise in simulation and pain management.
Consistent with the mission and values of the institution, this position requires a commitment to a culture that promotes of equity and inclusion. Therefore, applicants are expected to emphasize equity and inclusion in their interactions with students, staff, faculty, and community at large.
Job responsibilities include:
- Job Posting – MBU Part-Time NAP.docx
- Be doctoral-prepared and practicing as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist or a medically trained Anesthesiologist.
- Be responsible for teaching, advising, and evaluating students on a part-time basis (~20 hours per week).
- Collaborates with the NAP Director to teach a course load appropriate to the the part-time requirement and the discipline.
- Collaborates with the NAP Director to maximize student learning objectives.
- Learn and use technology to enhance teaching and the educational experience. i.e., the internet, Institutional learning system (Canvas), distance coursework (tele-medicine /video conferencing as needed), and other interactive technology, as appropriate.
- Encourage and facilitate the development of communication skills and higher order reasoning and thinking skills through appropriate assignments.
- Incorporate specific accreditation criteria into coursework syllabi and content.
- Develop, update, and post course syllabi in a timely manner in accordance with program policies.
- Serve as a mentor and advisor for student DNP scholarly projects as assigned.
- Participates with the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Programs, the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists, and other organizations to ensure program excellence and appropriateness of the curriculum and instruction to advance nurse anesthesia education.
- May serve on university, college, and program committees.
- Participates in admissions, marketing, fund-raising, and other functions that support the program. Collaborates with the NAP Director on student recruitment, selection, evaluation, advisement, and retention.
- Ensures quality of the program.
- Fosters an academic climate that facilitates student, faculty and staff learning as well as professional growth.
- Directs effort and attention to teaching and learning processes used throughout the curriculum. Promotes student-centered pedagogies and excellence in student advising.
- Develop and explain methods that fairly measure student progress toward student learning outcomes and specific course objectives.
- Evaluate student performance fairly and consistently and return student work promptly to promote maximum learning.
- Identify students at risk for not meeting performance criteria to assist student with engaging the appropriate resources for success.
- Maintain accurate documentation/records of student progress and submit final grade rosters to Program Director/Administrative staff each semester according to established deadlines.
- Assists in the academic and clinical advising of students as assigned by the NAP Program Director.
- Post and maintain office hours to ensure accessibility for advisement and consultation.
- Maintain confidentiality of student information (i.e., FERPA, HIPAA, etc.)
- Maintains active clinical practice as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist.
- Assist Assistant Program Director with other duties as assigned.
- Job Posting – MBU Part-Time NAP.docx
- Have an earned Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice (DNAP), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree.
- Be a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) or a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) and be an Anesthesiologist.
- Have at least 3 years of clinical practice experience as a CRNA or Anesthesiologist.
- Demonstrate a commitment to learner-centered education, innovative educational models, and readiness to participate in interprofessional educational opportunities.
- Prior didactic teaching experience. Teaching experience in a nurse anesthesiology program is preferred.
- Experience with or understanding of online educational learning and teaching including use of learning technologies.
- Experience with simulation technology and curriculum development for simulation experiences.
- Experience with pain management content and technology.
Mary Baldwin University is committed to promoting a culture of equity and inclusion among students, staff, and faculty. The university does not discriminate on the basis sex, gender, nor does the university discriminate based on race, national or ethnic origin, color, age, disability, religion, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
All correspondence relating to the position of part-time Assistant/Associate Professor of Nursing Anesthesiology should be directed, in confidence, to:
Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences 100 Baldwin Blvd., Fishersville VA 22939
A completed application should include the following:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position including a statement that reflects your commitment towards supporting a culture of Equity and Inclusion Excellence.
- Updated CV;
- Three (3) professional references with contact information, title, institutional affiliation, email address and direct phone numbers. (No references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate.)
Job Posting – MBU Part-Time NAP.docx
The search will remain open until the position is filled.