Autism Spectrum Disorder (MEd)
Leading the way in autism education.
At Mary Baldwin University, we believe that quality education should be accessible to all students, regardless of their developmental conditions. That’s why we offer the master of education program with a concentration in
autism spectrum disorder. With this program, you’ll gain the necessary skills and confidence to support the educational and behavioral needs of school-aged individuals with autism.
- Time to finish
- 18 – 24 months
- Eligible for
- Comprehensive Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorder
Why Study Autism Spectrum Disorder at Mary Baldwin?
The master of education with a concentration in autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a 30-credit hour program designed to prepare you for effective and ethical work with PK-12 students with autism. Through inquiry-based courses, you’ll explore topics such as educational leadership, research design, instructional technology, and educational, community, and home-based interventions for autism.
Upon completion of the program, you’ll earn the comprehensive certificate in autism spectrum disorder, endorsed by the Virginia Autism Council. This credential further validates your expertise in this specialized field.
Benefits of the MEd program:
- Courses are offered online
- Earn your comprehensive certificate in ASD during the course of your MEd program
- Educator’s Choice Discount for current employees of Virginia public or private schools
- Most textbooks in your ASD-specific courses are used across multiple courses, saving you money
- Knowledgeable faculty with direct experience working with K-12 schools, individuals with ASD, and their families
- Opportunities for on-the-job field-work
- Personalized advising
Earn your master’s degree in autism spectrum disorder online
We know how busy you are with responsibilities both at work and at home. That’s why we meet you where you are by giving you the leeway to learn on your own time, in your own way, and according to your own schedule. The practicum can even be completed in your own classroom.
Curriculum and Courses
Whether you’re a teacher looking to move into a higher salary scale or want to gain skills working with the ASD population, our online program provides the tools you need to take that next step and make an even bigger difference in the lives of students.
- IN 630 Methods of Professional Inquiry
- ED 631 Technologies to Advance Learning
- ED 632 Inquiry Research Project I
- ASD 640 Characteristics and Assessments of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- ASD 641 Communication, Language, and Sensory Aspects
- ASD 642 Social Skills and Behavior Strategies
Unique student support
The McCree Center for Life Success assists current students and alumni in finding the best opportunities throughout their career development. We work closely with both faculty and employers to identify how your valued education best matches the needs of today’s evolving marketplace.
Outstanding Outcomes and Opportunities
Whether you’re looking to improve educational outcomes for students in your current school, or explore expanded job opportunities, the autism spectrum disorder master’s program has proven results. Top positions for people with MEd in autism spectrum disorder include:
- Educator/Autism Program Specialist
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder Specialist
- Medical Personnel
- Speech and Language Pathologists
You can use your degree in a variety of settings, advocating for autistic individuals in schools, hospitals, nonprofits, research organizations, and social service agencies.
Cost & Financial Aid
A great education is worth it. Our mission is to help you level up and bring your aspirations to life.
Courses in the MBU MEd in autism spectrum disorder program are available at a lower per-credit-hour rate. All courses are online, and the 12-hour fieldwork requirement can be completed in your current classroom.