Study Abroad

Mary Baldwin University encourages students to study abroad and offers excellent programs through MBU and other colleges. Scholarship funding is available for traditional undergraduates who choose to study abroad. Additionally, all students may apply for financial aid to receive government loans to study abroad.

Study Abroad FAQS

“This experiential learning experience gave us access to history and culture in a way that can not be done in a classroom.”

Lauren P. ’23, who studied African and Latin American diasporas in Spain, France, and England

Study Abroad Scholarships

Study abroad scholarship funds are competitive and are awarded to students with demonstrated financial need who meet one of the following criteria:

  • Foreign language majors studying full-time abroad for a semester or a year (12 hours equivalent per semester).
  • Students studying full-time with one of Mary Baldwin University’s international exchange partners.
  • International studies majors with a language component requirement in their curriculum.
  • Foreign language minors participating in May Term abroad.

Note: Majors may use May Term support to study abroad, but may not have support for both a May term and a year abroad at another time.

Government aid to study abroad is available for all students, including online and graduate programs. Students applying for aid to study abroad must complete the Application for Study Abroad Aid, which is available in the Financial Aid Office, and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If your program is not registered through Mary Baldwin University, your host institution must complete a consortium agreement with the university. Aid awards are based on demonstrated need. 

Completed Application for Aid to Study Abroad forms are due to the Financial Aid Office by April 15 for the fall semester or full-year abroad, and Nov. 15 for the spring semester or May Term abroad.

Recent Study Abroad Trips in South Korea, Costa Rica, Cyprus, France, and Spain

Find your level-up at MBU.
Connect with an Admissions Counselor.