McCree Center for Life Success
Discover your true potential beyond academics at Mary Baldwin University
We believe that your college experience should encompass more than just your coursework. That’s why we strive to empower all our students to thrive on their chosen paths.
At the McCree Center for Life Success, we’re dedicated to helping you develop a personalized roadmap of experiences and support that will enable you to become the person you aspire to be. Our approach integrates various aspects of your life, including career planning, community engagement, civic involvement, and your social and spiritual values.
We call this unique service our “wraparound” support because it revolves around you and your goals. Together, we curate a tailored journey that caters to your individual needs and aspirations.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
At the McCree Center, we adhere to the following principles of our wraparound service:
- Individualized Support: Recognizing that every student is unique, we reject a one-size-fits-all approach. Instead, we customize our support to address your specific needs and circumstances.
- Your Voice and Choice: We prioritize your interests, preferences, and needs throughout your engagement with us. Your input shapes the direction of our assistance.
- Outcomes-Based: Our goals, strategies, and measurement of success are all aligned with your desired outcomes and the life you envision for yourself.
- Strengths-Focused: Rather than working against your inclinations and abilities, we collaborate to leverage and enhance your strengths.
- Cultural Competence: We strive to understand and honor your values, preferences, beliefs, culture, and identity throughout our partnership.
- Collaboration: Our team members work together harmoniously to meet your individualized needs and goals effectively.
- Community: We foster a supportive environment by collaborating with organizations and partners both within and beyond the Mary Baldwin community.
Meet with one of our advisors
McCree Center advisors provide guidance, support, and insight to help you navigate the complexities of career planning and personal development. During personalized sessions, we assess individual strengths, interests, and goals, working closely with students to create a strategic roadmap for career and personal development. By working with us, you’ll feel confident in making informed decisions, overcoming obstacles, and aligning your professional aspirations with your personal values.
Find help with resume and cover letters
Are you looking for a new position or preparing a graduate school application? Our team will consult on resumes, cover letters, and personal statements. We’ll help you craft the perfect application and put your authentic self into words.
Micro-internships, full internships, and co-op opportunities
Sometimes, you have to test out a career before you can really tell if you’ll love it. The McCree Center will help you find paid internships and cooperative educational experiences to get a feel for what it’s like to work in a chosen field.
McCree Center events
Job fairs, alumni panels, networking events — McCree has it all.
Civic engagement opportunities
Connecting to your community and supporting democratic deliberation and change can be deeply rewarding. Investing in your community makes it better for you and for many others. At the Spencer Center, you can find opportunities in civic and community engagement, service learning, along with Participatory Action Research projects.
The Spencer Center offers invaluable opportunities for global experiences through exchange programs, study abroad initiatives, and international programs. These experiences open doors to a world of cultural immersion, personal growth, professional preparation, and academic enrichment.
The McCree Center’s self-guided resources have been thoughtfully curated to provide meaningful, reflective activities, and readings. You can expand your own self-understanding and take control of your growth and development. Choose from a number of topics and learn at your own pace.