Director of Major Giving
- The Director of Major Giving will identify, cultivate, solicit face-to-face, and steward potential new and existing donors for $10,000+ gifts.
- Perform job duties in accordance with Mary Baldwin University’s vision, mission, and values, and contribute to the shared goals of the Advancement Division.
- Work collaboratively as a supportive team member under the direction of the Vice President of Advancement. Work collaboratively with all Office of Advancement team members, including the Associate Vice President of Alumni Engagement, Director of Advancement Services, Director of Annual Giving, Director of Leadership Annual Giving, and others to accomplish individual, team and college funding goals.
- Work with an assigned list of 100 or more prospects at various stages in the fundraising process.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual prospects for major gifts ($10K+,) to achieve annual fundraising and engagement goals as set with leadership.
- Set solicitation and engagement goals and participate in the ongoing evaluation of fundraising endeavors. $500K raised in the first year with a respective increase during employment tenure.
- Work in a team context, accepting responsibility for the success of colleagues as well as your own.
- Actively participate in prospect management meetings to set fundraising strategy.
- Understand university priorities and vision and engage donors and prospects in discussion around passion and support.
- Maintain and enhance familiarity with current and deferred gift vehicles.
- Communicate effectively with department personnel, providing written and verbal documentation of prospect calls in the Raisers Edge NXT database.
- Interface effectively and appropriately with Board of Trustee members, Office of the President, academic deans, and college leadership as appropriate.
- Attend college functions related to duties or as a representative of the department.
- Delegate effectively and respectfully in order to optimize time and resources.
- Practice superior customer service.
- Fulfill additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Display respect and civility to all constituencies regardless of method of communication.
Required Core Competencies and Qualifications:
- Ability to work on a small team and willingness to work within all levels of the administrative needs of the department.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow through with short, medium, and long-term projects concurrently.
- Ability to think strategically and programmatically.
- Refined and clear communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Detailed and in-depth knowledge of fundraising.
- Must be a self-starter who regularly sets and achieves activity and results-driven goals.
- A proven fundraising track record, as well as possible history in communication and marketing.
- High level of professionalism and discretion.
- Display integrity in the use of the department travel budget.
- Ability to connect with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability to learn quickly and retain knowledge.
- Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends as events dictate.
- Proficiency with the following, but not limited to: active listening; speaking; writing; critical thinking; judgment and decision making; monitoring; reading comprehension; time management; coordination; and management of personnel resources.
- Proficiency in using a variety of computer and technology-related software and equipment, including Microsoft Office products, Google suite of programs, constituent database management systems, and communications platforms.
- The ability to lead, work in a team setting, and work independently.
- Comfort in researching and analyzing large groups of data to uncover prospects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication aptitude.
- Capable of handling numerous tasks at once and still meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated history of securing major gifts over three or more years while working for a growing pipeline.
- Priority must be given to direct contact with donors.
- Required Level of Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Preferred Level of Education: Master’s Degree
- 3-5 years minimum of direct fundraising and or related experience.
- Experience with Blackbaud’s The Raiser’s Edge NXT or Customer Relationship Management (CRM) desirable, or willingness and aptitude to learn quickly.
- The ability to grow and manage a portfolio of 100+ individual and corporate constituents is essential.
- Proven track record in raising major gifts. ($10K+)
- Demonstrated experience in successfully working independently and organizing one’s own work.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully handling multiple demands efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience in working with a team towards ambitious shared results.
- Staunton, Virginia
- Regular national travel
- Hybrid optional for regionally based candidates
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Mary Harvey, Interim Vice President of Advancement at email@example.com