Kinesiology (Exercise Science and Health Sciences) Department Chair
Assistant/Associate Professor Mary Baldwin University – Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences
Summary of Position:
Mary Baldwin University in Staunton, VA has an open department chair position in the Kinesiology Department. This position is full-time, renewable, 12-month faculty position at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor.
The department chair is responsible for the coordination and supervision of all academic and clinical aspects of the Kinesiology Department including oversight of Exercise Science, Health Science, and Physical Education including the following.
Ensuring all aspects within the department align with the mission, vision, and strategic plan for MBU, MDCHS, and the Kinesiology Department.
Serve as the link between the department and the administration by advocating for the students and faculty to the administration and communicating administrative priorities to the faculty.
Responsible for assuring compliance with University, college, and school policies and procedures. They will be responsible for implementing University directives. They will ensure that the educational program maximizes the available resources.
Identify outcomes for the exercise science, health science, and physical education programs in collaboration with faculty that reflect the knowledge and skills necessary for the successful completion of the Programs aligned with industry recognized competencies and achievement of certification as applicable.
Participate in department and program assessment to evaluate program quality and identify needed curriculum revisions. Work collaboratively with faculty to maintain a vibrant and innovative curriculum based on outcomes, assessment data, and accreditation standards as applicable.
Recruit, select, and maintain high quality faculty across the disciplines in Kinesiology and according to program needs. Mentor and develop faculty for success across all areas of faculty responsibility.
The chair holds an academic faculty appointment and has administrative, academic, service, and scholarship responsibilities consistent with faculty appointment. They will maintain a teaching and advising load as appropriate to the professional’s areas of content expertise and department needs.
- Doctoral degree in Exercise Science, Health Sciences or a related field required.
- 5+ years’ experience in leading or managing education programs (curriculum and student programs) in a university-based health sciences college or equivalent experience.
- Successful experience with innovative approaches to university-based education and research; understanding quality metrics in education.
- demonstrate experience in leading a team in developing, implementing, and evaluating strategies to achieve objectives and be results-oriented;
- Dedication to evidence-based decision-making and evaluation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent written, verbal, and listening communication skills with ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with a wide variety of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to build a team and delegate effectively.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Ability to represent the College in a variety of internal and external-facing events.
- Commitment to efficiency, effectiveness, and excellence;
- Commitment to the University and College Mission, Vision, and Values.
The Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences:
Mary Baldwin University has an historic mission in the liberal arts and sciences and ethos of leadership and service. Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences is comprised of undergraduate programs in Exercise Science and Health Sciences, and Healthcare Administration, professional programs including Doctor of Occupational Therapy, Master of Science in Physician Assistant, Master of Health Administration, RN-BSN completion, and several Doctor of Nursing Practice tracks. MDCHS emphasizes superior education in a people-centered environment. MDCHS has a strong commitment to interprofessional education across the programs.
Emphasis on Diversity: Mary Baldwin University seeks and encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in higher education and with academic experience with diverse student bodies. Above all, we seek candidates eager to embrace and empower an ethic of equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
To Apply: Send the following information to Search Committee Chair, C/O Ms. Barrie Holt at HS-Apply@marybaldwin.edu:
- Letter of application addressing qualifications, personal characteristics, and responsibilities
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact information for three references (include e-mail addresses)
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Projected start date is July 2024.