Special Education (BA)
A person-centered approach to teaching.
Exceptional students need exceptional educators. That’s where you come in. You’re ready to embark on a career of purpose – where you can make a real difference in the lives of students who require specialized instruction and services. By meeting each student where they are, you can support them on their educational journey and have a lasting, positive impact on their life.
- Time to finish
- 4 years
- Bachelor of Arts
- Special Education
Why Study Special Education at Mary Baldwin?
Special education K – 12 teachers are in high demand in Virginia. A special education degree from MBU opens up new career opportunities equipping you with an in-demand skill set and the required licensure endorsements.
With flexible online coursework, practicum, and in-person classroom teaching, you’ll gain both the pedagogical foundation and hands-on experience you need to create truly inclusive classrooms where all students can excel.
Features & Benefits
- Get real-world, classroom experience in all three grade bands: elementary, middle, and high school
- Learn how to identify the needs of exceptional students and develop Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- Take subject area courses, such as reading and mathematics, to support classroom teachers
By the end of our program, you’ll be fully prepared to complete the required assessments for licensure and embark on your new career.
Learn to Take the Lead
Our special education bachelor’s program empowers future educators to take leadership roles in their schools. We combine theory and practice for an integrated approach to educating exceptional students. At MBU, you will learn to teach, lead, and collaborate – with confidence.
- Characteristics of Exceptionality
- Assess & Evaluate Exceptional Students
- Lifespan Human Development
- Found & Legal Issues in Special Ed
- Transitioning for Exceptional Learners
- Collaborate to Support Exceptional Learners
- Math Methods for Special Ed
- Language Acquisition & Literacy Development
- Classroom & Behavior Management
- Assessment of and For Learning
- Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Integrating Literacy to Improve Content Area Learning
- IEP Development & Implementation
Unique student support
The McCree Center for Life Success assists current students and alumni in finding the best opportunities throughout their career development. We work closely with both faculty and employers to identify how your valued education best matches the needs of today’s evolving marketplace.
An Opportunity Like No Other
Mary Baldwin’s special education bachelor’s program equips you with a highly marketable degree and the skills and experience to change lives and thrive in your profession. Special education interventions can make a world of difference to students and are a deeply rewarding way to give back to the community.
Cost & Financial Aid
A great education is worth it. Here’s how Mary Baldwin helps you pay for it: Generous financial aid packages, a broad range of scholarships, transferring maximum credit hours from previous coursework or relevant work and life experiences — the list goes on. Our mission is to help you level up and bring your aspirations to life.
MBU helps you fast-track your path to a bachelor’s degree with the opportunity to transfer up to 18 credits (6 courses) through direct course equivalents from the Virginia Community Colleges System.
- Cost per credit hour: $486
- Credits required for a bachelor’s degree: 120