Residence Life Staff

Our office oversees the various aspects of housing, residence hall staffing, programming and events, and residential living concerns. Additionally, our office helps to manage residence hall facility concerns; and hall safety and security concerns.

Residential Life at Mary Baldwin


The Director of Residence Life and Housing is responsible for providing overall leadership for the residence life components of the department, the oversight of the delivery of all residential programs as well as the business and housing operations. The Director serves as a primary departmental contact and resource for on-campus student crisis management in collaboration with the Area Coordinators of Residence Life and Housing and oversees the creation and monitoring of programming models, intervention for students, and RA committee work.

Area Coordinators

Area Coordinators (ACs) are live-on graduate and undergraduate-level professional staff members of the Office of Residence Life and Housing. The AC is responsible for all administrative, educational, and supervisory tasks of assigned residence hall(s). While reporting directly to the Director of Residence Life, Area Coordinators have significant interaction and responsibility within all functional areas of housing. Duties an AC include: RA staff supervision, administrative duties, student discipline, stimulating the development of social and educational programs, group advising, promoting the safety and welfare of all residents, and individual counseling. ACs serve as emergency on-call staff members as well, referred to as the “Primary On Call”. There is a staff member available 24/7 during the academic year in case of an emergency.

Resident Advisors

Resident Advisors (RAs) are specially selected and trained student leaders who provide the first level of service and support to residential students. RAs help to shape the development of the communities they serve by planning a wide range of social and educational programs. Additionally, these leaders distribute campus news, provide resources, make referrals based on student concerns, assist with conflict mediation and peer counseling, and offer assistance in emergencies.

Interested in becoming an RA?: All who are interested in applying or those who may have questions about RA position are encouraged to attend our Information Sessions. The application process occurs twice an academic year; usually at the midway points of the Fall and Spring Semesters, respectively. Information on how to apply will be shared via email and posted through other university communication methods.

Office Assistants

Office Assistants (OAs) are students hired by the Office of Residence Life and Housing (ORLH) who assist in the management of the daily functions of the office by performing administrative and clerical work. OAs act as the front-line resource for students, parents, staff, and faculty who utilize the services provided by the ORLH. Office Assistants act as customer service personnel by filtering concerns, answering questions, and making referrals to professional staff as necessary.

Interested in becoming an OA?: The position will be posted at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters if there are any staff vacancies. You can apply through Student Employment.

Contact Us


Located at:
Kable House